Janakpuri Open Pit Tragedy: Delhi court Refuses Pre-Arrest Bail to Contractors

Janakpuri Open Pit Tragedy: Delhi court Refuses Pre-Arrest Bail to Contractors

A Delhi court has rejected the anticipatory bail pleas of two contractors in connection with the death of a 25-year-old biker who fell into an open pit in Janakpuri, holding that custodial interrogation is necessary and the seriousness of the offence cannot be overlooked.

Additional Sessions Judge Harleen Kaur, who heard the pleas of contractors Himanshu Gupta and Kavish Gupta, noted that the investigation is still at an early stage. Arrest warrants had already been issued against the two by the Delhi Police.

The court observed that the contractors could influence witnesses or tamper with documents if granted relief. It said the FIR stemmed from the “unfortunate death of a young man” and that the prosecution had alleged a failure to take adequate safety measures at the excavation site.

Kamal Dhyani, 25, a private bank employee from Rohini, died after his motorcycle fell into a pit dug by the Delhi Jal Board on the night of February 5–6.

Denying bail to Himanshu Gupta, the court said he had been non-cooperative and evasive during questioning, and that investigators were still collecting crucial material. The court added that the gravity of the offence and its impact on society weighed against granting anticipatory bail.

During the hearing, Gupta’s counsel argued that the DJB approved the work only on October 9, 2025, and that Gupta had already been suspended as a director due to insolvency proceedings against his company.

However, the prosecution opposed the plea, stating that CCTV footage showed no safety measures such as barricades or warning boards at the site. The court also rejected a regular bail plea filed by sub-contractor Rajesh Kumar Prajapati.

Investigators told the court that Gupta joined the probe on February 12, 14, and 17 but failed to provide relevant documents. The prosecution also alleged that he remained in contact with co-accused Prajapati after the incident and that required permissions under the DJB agreement were yet to be verified.

Earlier, on February 11, the court had granted interim protection to the two contractors. So far, police have arrested Prajapati and a labourer, Yogesh, both of whom are in judicial custody. Three DJB officials have also been suspended.

Police alleged that Prajapati delayed informing authorities about the accident, while the labourer misled the victim’s family and failed to alert officials after the biker fell into the pit.

Share this News

Website designed, developed and maintained by webexy